Black bean brownies are a delicious and nutritious twist to a traditional chocolate brownie. You might be nervous about baking with black beans, but don't be - they have a very mild flavor and are extremely rich, creamy, and full of protein. You can also boost the flavor of your brownie with essential oils such as Peppermint, Wild Orange, Cinnamon, or even Lavender.
Since these aren’t your typical brownies, the ingredients contain some pretty impressive health benefits. Here are just a few health highlights of Black Bean Brownie ingredients.
Black Beans: Black beans contain a substantial amount of fiber, which can be beneficial for diabetics. Studies show that type 1 diabetics with high fiber diets can achieve lower blood glucose levels, and those with type 2 diabetes can improve their blood sugar and insulin levels with a high fiber intake.
Coconut Oil: Studies have shown that coconut oil can help improve cardiovascular risk factors, which could lead to a reduced risk of heart disease long term.
Honey: Honey contains phytonutrients that contain antibacterial and antiviral properties that will boost the immune system, making it easier to fight against the flu and common colds.
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
4 drops Peppermint essential oil*
3/4 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into large bowl and stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased 8x8-inch pan and top with ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
* Click here to learn how you can purchase my recommend products for yourself.